AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

On the Chin!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

hf213
Posted 6/30/2015 12:26 (#4654280 - in reply to #4654224)
Subject: RE: On the Chin!!

+1,
I have done my own corn plots over several years in the same field, testing tillage / min till / no till.
I will be the 1st to admit that the tilled ground emerges and looks better until about tassel time, then it evens out. Kind of hard to watch when all the neighbors looks like they are a week or so ahead, but you have to put some patience pants on. I still like planting, spraying and combining on firm ground too, instead of the soft worked ground.
On my yield tests, either by combine yield maps or by weighing designated acres per wagon or truck, the yield was with in 5 bu / acre either + or -, but usually my no till ended up being on the + side.
You still have to be the judge on what works best for your ground, here, I think the cover crops are the next link to giving the no till an edge.

On beans, I used to till my wheat stubble so I could landplane and turn some of the residue under, this year on half the wheat acres I am going to let the stubble go, cover crop it and drop the planter next spring.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)