AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need help Cat 3208 running away
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CATGUY
Posted 9/19/2008 22:31 (#464792 - in reply to #464592)
Subject: Re: Need help Cat 3208 running away

Iowa
The no-start problem is probably as davpal described with sticky shutoff housing linkage, but could also be gummed up interal linkages as Fla Veggie Farmer describes. Maybe a combination of both, too. The "runs at high idle" complaint could be gummed up internal parts, also. There are other possibilities inside the governor also that could cause it to run at high idle with the lever at low idle(externally) but I personnally haven't seen this complaint before on truck engines. If you buy some gaskets for the top of the fuel injection pump and clean that area REALLY, REALLY good, then remove the top plate of the pump,you could take a "turkey baster" and suck out the fuel from the fuel injection pump area, and spray some carburator cleaner in there and let it soak and lightly move the linkages back and forth easily. You could let the cleaner set there for 24 hours, then suck out the cleaner with the turkey baster, install a new top plate gasket(DON"T forget the relief spring under the top plate towards the front) and reassemble. Hand pump or use your electric lift pump to fill that fuel injection pump area before you try to start. Important: have a board or flat plate nearby to shutoff the air(cover the intake) if the engine revs too high. These will require two people(one has to ready to slam the board over the intake in a split-second to prevent engine damage if something is terribly wrong inside the fuel pump). This is common practice WHENEVER someone is into the fuel system! If you worried about this, call a qualified mechanic. I won't talk about the rear governor part; to easy to lose the over-fueling spring or crack the rear housing. I would like you to check and make sure that your fuel return line from the top,right of the fuel injection pump to the fuel tank is open and fuel can flow thru it. On some larger fuel systems, a plugged fuel return line can cause the rack to bind with excessive fuel pressure, BUT I have never seen type excessive pressure on a 3208 because only firetrucks run an electric fuel pump(booster pump) to assist the internal 3208 transfer pump.(in my experience) Another question: Do you have a regulator on your electric fuel "lift" pump? I assume it has been OK, if you have been run for 12 years. If your lucky, carb cleaner may do the trick. Do you feel lucky?

Edited by CATGUY 9/19/2008 22:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)