AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Next level Winter Wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 6/25/2015 18:15 (#4645812 - in reply to #4644897)
Subject: RE: Next level Winter Wheat

Sanilac Co. Michigan
Not growing wheat in your location, in fact really the polar opposite, so please don't come unglued with what I suggest.

Like others have said, you kind of need to match your fertilizer (nitrogen) application to your yield potential. You can spoon feed wheat as crop conditions indicate. In furrow N and P work exceptionally well with wheat. so "here" I usually put 10 gallons or @ 110# of 10-34-0 down with the drill and usually mix in some Zn. Bulk spreading is the best/cheap way to maintain or build fertility so K, P and S get spread prior to sowing. Let your wheat tell you how much nitrogen to put down through the spring

Fungicide applications I suppose depend largely on your weather patterns. Again, "here" an application at flowering is pretty much SOP and an earlier application for rust generally also happens, so for those two applications we're going to spend somewhere around $25.00 for materials. If SWWW is $6.00 and SRRW is $5.00 you need to pick up four to five bushels from the fungicide. That works here pretty much every year, but if your typical yield ceiling is only 40 bushel I guess I'd be inclined to apply fungicides that have curative as well as preventative properties as needed.

Herbicide and insecticide applications can be teamed with some fungicide applications. As you see, regardless of what or how much you do a lot is going to depend on timing and you're going to have multiple passes through your fields any way you cut it. Have you considered tram lines? I started this myself a couple seasons ago and have been pretty happy with the results. Since the tracks there, there's really no excuse not to make an extra pass if the crop needs it. Since I no-till Soys, Dry Beans, Oats and Wheat with the same drill I follow the same tram lines each year. They're more or less permanent. I don't have many square fields or any over 40 acres and it's not so bad to set up. I'd imagine in your location it'd be pretty easy to do as well.

That's my take on it. The big thing with wheat, I think, is tending to the details. Hope I'm not coming across as some sort of know-it-all since I don't have all the answers for my own farm, much less than some guy on the opposite end of the country. Best of luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)