AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Throwing in the towel....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

illinidirtfarmer
Posted 6/23/2015 16:59 (#4642398 - in reply to #4642281)
Subject: RE: Throwing in the towel....

WC IL
We have some ground in my area that just will not dry. Quite a few guys made the decision last fall to not till corn stalks and no till beans this year. Looked like a good way to save $15-$20 an acre. A lot of that ground has been no drier after 7 days of sunshine and warm weather than it was at the start. I really think there are fields "here" that with no rain and good drying conditions will not be dry enough to plant in 2 weeks. Dug up some corn plants yesterday to see if the roots were as crappy as suspected, hole was maybe 8" deep. Walked back by the hole 10 minutes or so later and it had 3" of water in it. We are saturated here and are losing lots of bushels of corn and beans every day in what has been planted. I anticipate lots of PP around here. Guys are already looking at an unknown loss on the acres they have planted, and can't afford to take the risk on more acres. Some of these are some VERY good farmers with plenty of machinery and man power to get things done. some have said they will plant until July 10.
Each of us has to do what is best for our operation, and not be so critical of a decision someone else makes because it is best for their operation. Most of us want to grow a crop, and will agonize all summer over an unplanted field, even if the dollars and cents said it was better to not plant.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)