AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Throwing in the towel....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 6/23/2015 05:53 (#4641562 - in reply to #4641455)
Subject: RE: Throwing in the towel....

Chebanse, IL.....

Clicker....you post:

A lot of the posts on here are becoming comedy"

You are cordially invited to travel up here & join in the laughter. Apparently you have an ability to see the light side of this mess up here from your perch hundreds of miles away. Has anyone ever belittled your crop year outlook on here? Or do they just try to read it with understanding? We are flat up here. 2-3" of rain water doesn't run away. That's good many times. Many times it isn't however, like this year & last. Fields are wet & stay wet. Tiled or not, after 2" of rain it will take a full week or more of drying weather to make a field passable. Probably then not 100% passable, but somewhat workable. Right now, I'm not sure spray planes could make it across a lot of fields.

So, in your many years of farming experience (I'm 66 & farmed all my life), what would you plant up in NE IL when it finally dries enough, which would maybe be around the 4th of July assuming no more rain events? Keep in mind the frost/freezes we have in the fall up here. What is your suggestion to grow something to thwart insurance? I think if you carry insurance you can not file claims & collect on the premiums you've elected to pay at this point & continue with crops. In other words, you can't file a claim & plant another crop at the same time.

So, what is your actual planting/farming suggestion based on your farming experiences in this part of the world for Gumby & others up here? Not just criticism, how about telling us what you would do based on your experiences here. As Gumby states & others are replying from this area....we've been thru this before. It is interesting to read views of those from hundreds of miles away that have insight abilities such as yours.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)