AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

N loss/management in saturated soils from AgriGold
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rebuilder
Posted 6/18/2015 07:58 (#4633400 - in reply to #4633374)
Subject: RE: N loss/management in saturated soils from AgriGold

Bourbon,Indiana

NEILFarmer - 6/18/2015 07:45 Have to remember that every form of N is different as far as staying power, and have NH3 alone is the best on that chart without any N serve. So i guess that is how in my mind sidedress NH3 is about as safe for this kind of weather as you can have.

This is the crux of the discussion. By it's very nature, NH3 sticks around the longest.

2013 was my over the top record year for corn. Farm yielded way over my APH. But we had a very wet June....9+" if I recall correctly. If you look at the google earth images taken in August of that year, the yellow corn and wet holes show up in sharp contrast. And it is quite obvious in fields where 28% is sidedressed that that corn was starving for N.

I'm not poo-pooing the idea of top-dressing later in the season to account for N-loss from saturated conditions. I am actually considering trying that here on a couple farms as I was using a bare-bones rate of N due to low corn prices.

I am, however, stipulating that by using NH3 I have reduced the chance of N-loss in the first place......

I have a whole 40 acre field plot out with alternating N-serve/straight NH3 at sidedress. Maybe this wet weather will give me some good data from that plot.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)