AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If a landlord came to you
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Orfarmer
Posted 6/18/2015 06:37 (#4633259 - in reply to #4632884)
Subject: RE: If a landlord came to you

Roanoke, IN
Life's too short to be constantly at odds with your business partners (landlords) Some guys have a knack for customer service and very good people skills and can serve landlords with special requests. Some guys specialize in having smaller equipment and can get to secluded fields and have no problem farming smaller patches others turn down. Some guys can always squeeze the extra 10-20 bushels out of a farm. Some can always get an extra $.25 out of the market. Figure out what your niche is and go for it.

All of the things you mention are based on idealiology and I am curious why landowner would come to you asking for something he knows you don't do or are against? The only thing that is not a big deal to me is seed. All companies have good and bad. Maybe you could put out a simple test plot for a few years and show him? Everything else isn't worth arguing about too me. Like you said he's the boss.

How bad do you want/need the ground? If he like tillage, hire somebody to till it if you don't have the equipment. Throw a few gallons of foliar fertilizer on for a few years and mine his ground. (Not sure how you're gonna foliar your N). If there's wet spots go around them and deduct it from the rent check. Others have said the request to go organic ended up being good for them.

I would be more open to special requests if on shares or cheap rent. Part of choosing a renter is the managment style of that renter. You are not just choosing an employee. Maybe this is a good lesson on ownership vs. renting?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)