AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What will be the greater return on investment? Dryer or precisionAg
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

17821x
Posted 6/17/2015 20:24 (#4632607 - in reply to #4631748)
Subject: RE: What will be the greater return on investment? Dryer or precisionAg

NE Iowa
Your whole operation sounds very familiar to mine. I'm just about 11 years older and on the other side of the Mississippi River from you. I have a 6 row planter, hire my combining done, have hilly ground, and farm a lot of 100' wide contour strips. Here's my 2 cents:

#1) Keep hiring the combining done. The maintenance time and $$$ and shed space it takes to own a combine for a few hundred acres is not worth it. I tried owning an old cheap combine once for about 5 years. One of my best days farming was the day it left. In my hills I hire guys with sidehill combines and they lose way more out the back then if I did it myself with an old level land combine.

#2) Get a half-width disconnect on your planter so you can shut it off 3 rows at a time. Just a simple electric clutch type. Run it manually with a toggle switch. Hard to make individual row clutches pay on only a few hundred acres.

#3) A 3pt. sprayer is nice in the hills. I'd spend money on a wider then 30' boom but just stick with manually switch to turn on and off sections.

#4) For your acres skip the wet bin and drier and go with natural air dry bins. When you hire the combining done it is hard to justify a drier that can keep up with the combine. If you size your fans correctly you can fill bins with 18-20% corn in one day. Run the fans for about a month and you are done. I dry corn in about 7 different small bins every year with no heat in any of them. I usually fill them all in about 3 days time. Custom guy comes once and we do it all.

If you want any help sizing fans for air drying corn let me know.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)