AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Banding fungicides in corn @ V5/V6
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

00rooster
Posted 6/13/2015 17:33 (#4624557)
Subject: Banding fungicides in corn @ V5/V6

I've been doing some strips and trials with in-furrow Headline & Xanthion, and am also making more trials with Priaxor at V5. But I am considering a different way to spraying fungicide at V5 instead of adding it to herbicide pass. Sometimes I don't want to spray herbicide at V5 and would rather wait until canopy and go in with drops. And I don't want to make a special trip with the sprayer.

Also, since any fungicide that hits the soil is wasted, then we are wasting quite a lot of fungicide.  At V5 the leaf area of the plant might be 10-15" wide, so 50-66% of the fungicide is wasted and never has a chance to even hit a leaf.

So what about banding with the sidedress rig?  I'll be out sidedressing 32% at V4-V5 if things go according to plan.  I would be fairly easy to plumb up some nozzles and a tank to hold the fungicide spray.  I have tractor mounted tanks(side for 32% and front for starter), but I typically take my front one off after corn planting.  I could just leave it one and use it for my fungicide spray.  Even the electric pump that I use for starter should be sufficient to apply a 5-7 GPA spray banded over the row.  5 GPA banded in a 10" wide band would be the equivalent of 15 GPA broadcast, or 7 GPA would be 14 GPA broadcast in 15" wide bands.

And I could theoretically cut my fungicide use rate by 50%-66% depending on how wide my band would be.

So what about nozzles?  I was thinking of something like this:

Or this:

I kinda like the cone better since you will hit the middle of the row twice and two different angles.

However:

I am concerned about getting a blast of fungicide down the whorl since my nozzle is gonna be directly on top of the row.  Maybe the fungicide won't hurt, but perhaps the surfactant might.  Any products that would be safer to spray like this than others?  How important are the surfactants?  Could I use something else instead?

I'm thinking about taking a spray bottle with a mix of fungicide and surfactant and spraying a good amount down the whorl of the plant to see what happens.

Edited by 00rooster 6/13/2015 17:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)