AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chisel Plow vs Disc Ripper
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 6/9/2015 22:15 (#4617978 - in reply to #4617891)
Subject: RE: Isn't a matter of how much soil is moved?

btman - 6/9/2015 21:41 i dont qutie get why tillage is a waste in front of beans... I disk early spring and than soil finish lightly with my 6333 finisher right ahead of the planter and have better emergence, stands and less weeds than lots of no till fields

A properly equipped no till planter will produce better stands without tillage than it will with tillage.

You can see it nearly every year.    The guys that do tillage plant their beans into a bunch of clods and dust and then pray for rain to get them up but not too much so it doesn't crust.   The no-till guys plant into moisture and it takes one heck of a pounding rain to cause a crusting problem.

The weeds are a separate issue that can be dealt with cheaper with chemicals than tillage but it might take planning ahead a bit if you have tough weeds.

You likely spend as much on your two tillage passes as we do in total for chemicals to have season long clean fields.

Your mileage may vary but we won't be going back to doing tillage for beans.   Aside from the waste of resources I don't particularly like running dirt through the bean combine either.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)