AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Educate me on small grain dryers.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

thefarmers
Posted 6/2/2015 06:22 (#4604317 - in reply to #4602238)
Subject: RE: Educate me on small grain dryers.

That's pretty much what our setup is also, only we have a Kansan dryer and two 170000 bu storage bins that we can swing the auger to either one. We ran about 75000 by through it last year. We've been doing it that way since 1984.

We also have two in bin dryers on landlords farms that we use. They are simpler but we still seem to always be doing mainatanance on the one all the time. The one is a 36', and the other is a 30'. The 30' seems to work fairly well, but we only dry about 6000-7000 bu with it, but it won't dry as cheap as our continuous flow setup. The 36' is about a waste of time using. We run about 22-24000 bu through it, and Year in and year out I've figured up drying costs at the end of the year, and we may as well just take the corn to the elevator that we dry in it. Every year it calculates out to about the same as the elevator charges including shrink. The only reason to dry it is just so we can store it on the farm instead of at the elevator.

If you go in bin, make sure you get the hardened stirrator augers. The plain steel ones don't last long. And check the wiring over. It tends to wear through the covering where it vibrates against things and short out. Also keep an eye on the stirrator auger belts. Best time to check is when bin is full of corn. Otherwise, when things break and you have to get a ladder in to work on it it's not fun. Especially when the corn just barely over the walk in door.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)