AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Educate me on small grain dryers.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Schmerko
Posted 5/31/2015 22:04 (#4602267 - in reply to #4601341)
Subject: RE: Educate me on small grain dryers.

East Central Iowa
My two cents....

Batch versus Continuous.......I didn't really see this question answered. A batch dryer (usually what the older dryers are) loads in corn until the dryer is full, then turns on the fan and heat to dry it to a preset kernel temperature level (some are just based on timer); then it will cool it (fan, no heat), and then unload the entire dryer, kicking the augers in/out based on sensors (if it has a control system). If manual then someone standing next to the dryer gets to turn them on and off. Batch dryers are SLOW and need a lot of babysitting unless the control system is working well.

A continuous flow dryer (CF) once you get it going it keeps running on its own. You load the dryer full the first time, and then the fan and heat will run continuous (the heat usually cycling from hi heat to low heat based on where you have it set). It will continuously unload dry corn so the unload augers will run full-time. The dryer control system will speed up or slow down the unload auger in the bottom of the dryer based on how wet (moisture) or hot (temperature) the sensors say the corn is. If too wet it will slow down the unload and if too dry speed it up. Moisture will "average out" but if you are putting in fairly consistent moisture wet corn it will dry it real consistently on the output side. If you are putting in real wet and then real dry corn it may lag a bit as it "catches up". The load auger to the dryer will auto kick on/off to load the dryer. Usually there are two sensors on top of the dryer, once it drops below the lower sensor it will turn on the load auger and then turn it off when the grain reaches the top sensor. Based on your budget you probably won't be in the CF dryer market.

In regards to your bin plans.......just be aware you can't take two 3,000 bushels bins and stack them to get a 6,000 bushel bin. The lower panels/rings on a 6,000 bushels bin are thicker and stronger than those on a 3,000 bushel bin so stacking two smaller bins to make a bigger bin usually doesn't work (often the concrete pad isn't thick or strong enough for a bigger bin). Now given that 3,000 bushel is not that much to start with you may get by with it but if it were me I would put some stiffners on the sides to help transfer the load to the concrete.

Finally I can't help but agree one single bin with an in-bin drying system (basically a drying floor, bin fan with burner, and stirrator) would be a better way to go and probably not that much more expensive (may be cheaper). Only need one auger to load it (can use same auger to unload into trucks). You can probably buy a used stirrator for next to nothing as most guys have moved away from them (capacity issues and need some maintenance from time to time). For a bin if you are going to be sourcing a 6,000 bushel bin anyway can still do so, you are already going to need an aeration floor and fan it, so just upsize the fan slightly and add a burner to the fan and you are set.

You asked for advice but seem dead-set to do it the way you want so good luck. Not the way I would do it or want to manage but its your buck and time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)