AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Educate me on small grain dryers.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

4th GenerationFarmer
Posted 5/31/2015 21:32 (#4602163 - in reply to #4601833)
Subject: RE: Educate me on small grain dryers.

NWC Ohio
Your thought process with your current materials/ situation does sound feasable. Reusing the materials you already have paid for does make sence. However proceed with caution. Your old concrete that was poured for a 3k bin may not be sufficient for double the original designed weight. Maybe the base under the concrete won't be good enough. Doubling the heights of the bin will cause alot more wind strain on the foundation, and be more top heavy. I'm not a bin/concrete guy so I would take some measurements and ask more knowledgable people.
Putting two bins together? If you are trying to stack two used 3k bins on top of each other, be careful. The bin sheets are built to different thicknesses for taller bins. A 3k bin doesn't have stuff enough rings for the bottom half of a 6k tall bin. You certainly don't want any ring to wrinkle or collapse and cause the bin to fall over, specialy since its so close to road and driveways. I've helped raise bins, they get new heavier rings when adding height. Maybe you could get away with stiffners, gotta consult bin mfg/dealer for that info.
A dryer like your looking at will cause fines to fall out onto ground. How much will you create from 6 k bushels, I don't know as I've never used this style dryer. Probably going to want a heavy tarp or something under dryer to make it easier to clean up the fines.
The taller the bin, the longer the auger you will need to fill it. Not sure how your exact layout will be with dryer orientation and such with the holding bin so close to storage bin you might need an extra jump auger from dryer unload to auger filling storage bin, just something to think about.

Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)