AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Educate me on small grain dryers.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

4th GenerationFarmer
Posted 5/31/2015 18:11 (#4601660 - in reply to #4601438)
Subject: RE: Educate me on small grain dryers.

NWC Ohio
So your starting with a 600 bushel hopper bin( I'm guessing hopper bottom style). You need concrete to set it on, you need a dryer, preferably set on concrete, you need a bin large enough to hold your entire crop ( you mentioned 6k bu), you need concrete to set that bin on, and you need that bin, and you need 4 augers of various lengths with electric motors and lots of electrical wiring. All of this will take up a farily large footprint on your property, not sure what kind space you have available. All this to set up a fairly high maintance, or at least pretty labor intensive with the start to finish process. In a later reply you mention this setup is only a short term ( less than 5 years). I'm just going to guess that all of the " hard parts" of this project will cost you at least 8k, just a total low guess on my part as I haven't even priced any of the stuff your trying to aquire to build this outfit. Plus your going to have alot of time laying out and assembling all of this. All of this with an intended life of less than 5 years? I really cant fathom this spending for such short term at all. Why build it small and labor intensive just to tear it out and make bigger in a few years? If your buying all these pieces cheap now, what value will they have in 5 years when you decide to remove them and replace them?

I have a neighbor who years and years ago ( before i was born) started out on the path your embarking on. His advice to me is simply " do it once, do it right, and do it with simplicity reliability and expansion in mind. Don't do it just cause you think it's cheap now." He started cheap, He added bins because he got them cheap and could reuse certain concrete slabs, augers, motors, controls, ect. He added cross augers and wiring. By the time he got to this point he has admitted that he woulda been farther ahead to just spend a bit more money to do it right, have less footprint on his property, be more reliable, and less labor intensive. Constantly battling bearing issues, (especialy working up in the air as a one man show) control malfunctions, and messes. He's running around 50k bushels now.

Not trying to criticize you, but I like the responses this topic has generated so far. I'm interested in seeing more replies since I'm in a similar situation needing to add the same things as you asked about.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)