AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Educate me on small grain dryers.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Small-timer
Posted 5/31/2015 16:20 (#4601496 - in reply to #4601473)
Subject: RE: Educate me on small grain dryers.

SW WI
Farmer johnathan,
I have considered it. Reasons against it, i don't have a picker, Gravity boxes, or elevator. It will take a lot of cribs for 10k of corn. I will have to pour concrete, and source cribs. Most of them are gone from this area. I will have about 1500-2000 in a picker. 1000 in Gravity boxes and 500 in an elevator. It will take up more room in the shed. I would need a wide row planter, and a tractor for spraying wide rows. It's a lot easier to control rats around a grain bin than a crib. Same with coon. The dog we have is way too worthless to chase anything and wifes grandpa feeds the cats too good. There are still some farms that use cob corn. I Have yet too see a crib without spoilage. Last my father-in-law is a nutritionist and I asked him about cob corn. He had a very valid point about the fiber. He said fiber is the cheapest and easiest feed to supplement. Nothing against cob corn and know several successful farmers here use it and have done way better than I have, I just think its not the ave for me At this point. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)