AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Educate me on small grain dryers.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Walton Farms
Posted 5/31/2015 16:16 (#4601492 - in reply to #4601341)
Subject: RE: Educate me on small grain dryers.

SW Indiana
I bought a very small dryer about 3 years ago. It is a gsi model 210c. Think it was built in the late 80's, not sure of the age of yours, but mine will run either continuous or batch. I've never ran it in batch mode, but it has timers on it from the factory for load time (fill wet grain), then a timer for drying, and a timer for unloading. So in theory you shouldn't have to babysit constantly, just check in once in awhile or while your there dumping wet grain. I feel like mine was in decent shape for the age, I did replace the bottom auger and some clean out panels on the bottom, as someone else said it is worth your time cleaning it out well after harvest. Went ahead and changed all the bearings in mine as well before we set it. I like mine better than bin drying just because I plan on harvesting more in the future and have. Will put about 300 acres through mine this fall. That's a lot of bushels for a 200 bushel continuous dryer I know, but I'm spread out and short on help and I get by just fine. Dryer cost me $2000, by the time I got done going through it and having local electrician hook up 3 phase, probably had less than $3500 in the whole deal.

Like others have said, if you only plan on 6000 bushel or so a year, bin dryer may be better suited for you. Dad had a dryer years ago and I already had a pad, a wet tank, and a bin at the home place so a small dryer was a no-brainer for me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)