AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Educate me on small grain dryers.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Small-timer
Posted 5/31/2015 14:44 (#4601341)
Subject: Educate me on small grain dryers.

SW WI
I have been thinking about putting up a grain drying facility on the farm. It will not have to be big at all. All the corn dried will be fed to cattle on the farm. Corn is going to be non GMO so I don't have an option in town to get it dried. Guy down the road has an old 200 bu dryer. Quite frankly, that's big enough for me I think. It will dry roughly 6000 bushel a year. My questions are,

What's the difference between a batch dryer and a continuous dryer. I'm thinking it's quite self explanatory but maybe not.

Can you convert a batch dryer to a continuous.

How much LP and electricity will it take to dry with something like this? I do not have 3 phase or natural gas. I do have a plenty big service, it's 600 amps and cows aren't being milked here anymore.

How do you tell if a dryer is any good anymore? This one has been stored inside. But what wears out on them

Do I need a controller for it? I work in town and will dry when I'm at work but my wife's grandpa will keep an eye on it. He will fill the holding bin for me when gone. I got a 600 bu bin for holding, then I'll park a 350 bu gravity box by an auger to fill it and the grain cart holds 550 bu along with 250 in the combine. That sounds like an all day affair so I will be fine with that.

Is there an advantage to finding an old tower dryer compared to the other style, I don't know what they are called.

What else do I need to know? How much should I spend to get a decent dryer? A good friend is a master plumber and does a lot with propane. I'm an electrician and I can fix so I'm ok with fixing it up but I hate junk. I'm 30 years old so this is a budget job. I need to set the wet bin, get an auger to fill wet bin, an auger to fill the dryer, I need the dryer, the auger to the bin and then I need to build the bin. All I need to know about is the dryer costs right now. I got jacks and will find a used bin that will sit on exsisting concrete. Thanks a lot. Please ask anything else you need to know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)