AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steiger vs Dozer on Tile Plow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Dan Loehr
Posted 5/14/2015 18:13 (#4570018 - in reply to #4569767)
Subject: RE: Steiger vs Dozer on Tile Plow

Holland, Indiana (SW IN)
have had both- now have a D85 Komatsu weighs about 32 ton pulling a Leibrich pull type plow(had the set up for about 10 yrs) - can go slow when I want to which is very nice -didn't like the speed of a big tractor in first when starting out in hard ground. We rarely have to pull it- usually just when we hit rock even then just grab the blade of the dozer with the track hoe it usually moves. A big dozer is pretty hard to tear up-I have seen tractors in pieces after being hooked to a tile plow.. Welded on extra tall ( 5'') grousers can lay any time we feel like being in the weather -We really like it.
We put a stringer set up on the blade which I like - don't need an extra person stringing.
And It's pretty nice to use a 32ton dozer clearing can do a lot of damage quickly.
Was relatively cheap we have 20k in the dozer with a new set of rails installed

Disadvantages:
#1 dozer (older don't know about newer) runs 2000 psi or less our plow needed 3500+ we put on a pony motor setup $5000- but the set up works great.
#2 hard to move (as said above)
#3 no cab with air and heat on most older (cheaper dozers) it can get darn cold & wet out there
#4 no Gps auto steer - we pre mark our laterals with an ammonia applicator - just leave on the knives for the spacing you want- which works pretty good

we will stay with the dozer hope this helps -Dan
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)