AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If you have a JD 12V compressor on your planter that quit because it sucked dust...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mkurkowski
Posted 5/5/2015 23:14 (#4553982 - in reply to #4553260)
Subject: RE: If you have a JD 12V compressor on your planter that quit because it sucked dust...

Ogallala,NE
hello all,

Thanks for all the advice and criticism. I understand what my options were, and was just trying to help out the next guy.

1) Yes, you can buy a 450C for $185. The 450C is not the same as the 450C-IG. The 450C-IG has better seals and is a higher quality unit. One of these costs $241.87 off of Amazon. Since there is nothing else wrong with my unit, for 21.5% of the cost of buying a whole new compressor, I'll put the kit in this one. Seems like $190+ out the window to me.

2) I realize if we would have bought the used planter from the local dealer for the local dealer price, they maybe would have came out and put our air filter in the cab. Maybe. However, we saved $50k buying it elsewhere. I think we can afford to put a $50 kit in the compressor because we didn't know the air filter was supposed to be in the cab. Even if we would have bought the thing in town, I'd be surprised if they would have gotten around to doing it anyway. Just trying to get anything out of them for the equipment we've bought there, it's become quite obvious their service department is marginal at best. After all, two of us put the planter over 2154 acres in 84 hours at 5.0 mph, so I feel we haven't sacrificed much reliability by not buying it in town for their premium price tag. A good winter preventative maintenance program goes a long ways.

3) I had the compressor completely apart to install the new cylinder wall and piston, so I thoroughly cleaned all pieces, removing dust and debris. Yes there was dust in the check valves. I took them apart, cleaned them up, and now they seal like new ones. A dual element air filter would be ideal. That way you could blow out the outer and still have the inner for safety. I've looked quite a bit, and haven't come up with anything on a small enough scale for a 1CFM compressor. Yes, a larger one would work, but they're expensive and kind of seem like overkill.

Thanks again to those who offered advice. I was just trying to help others who might encounter the same issue, not looking for the "you stupid idiot" comments.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)