AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lowboys and tenders parked on the road
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 4/18/2015 16:41 (#4523232 - in reply to #4523014)
Subject: RE: Lowboys and tenders parked on the road

I would imagine it's different in different areas. Depends upon how visible you are (hills, curves, etc?), how many non-ag people are around (are you close to a major city or are you so far out in the sticks that you don't see anyone other than people you know by name for days on end?) and whether it's day or night.

For myself I would never do it at night regardless of any other factors.

Other than that, I can almost always find a place where people can see me for several miles in each direction. The roads are plenty wide enough for two oversized load semi's to meet each other at 30 mph without worrying. I pull over further than I would if I were just meeting someone too. It is very rare to see someone from the city where our fields are unless it's hunting season.

So yes, if I'm out spraying and there is no way to get the semi in the field without making a mess (2 of our fields are this way) I'll park on the road with the hazard lights on and load across the ditch while I'm spraying.

I'm not sure how this is any different than if I were just meeting someone on the road. If they couldn't pull over while I was parked would they pull over when I was taking up even more of the road while moving?

Most of the time when I do this I don't see a single vehicle pass my semi the entire time I'm spraying. Should have mentioned that as a factor earlier. If you've got 10 cars per hour going by I'd be starting to question it. 10 cars per day and I wouldn't be worried at all. A car per minute and you couldn't pay me enough to do it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)