AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Train horns for trucks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

a4t-1600
Posted 4/3/2015 23:54 (#4495449 - in reply to #4494970)
Subject: RE: Train horns for trucks

Dearfield Co.
I laugh at all the comments about how much air these will use. Time a good 2 horn setup from cutout point of the compressor to when the air is completely drained and then try it with a 3 chime or 5 chime nathan train horn----------yes they use air but so does any air assecory. We have them on every one of my trucks and have had since the early 80s. It takes a lot to get one to bleed down to 60 lbs going down the road and that extended of a blow will destroy a regular train horn. Time how long a train blows them at a crossing and you will see they don't even stay on them all that long. I have also had the steam type horns that I called chimes --------these use air worse than a nathan or leslie train horn. And they are the highest decibel . If you can find one the old railroader from MO built in the 70s I would and then I would put it up . HE had a limited build on them and I wish I would of kept mine

True train horns don't like dirt ------------as well as they are slightly temperamental over time as the internal diagphrams will get a rust like corrosion on the stainless disc. I have bought a bunch of the readl deal from a guy with the screen name T.AKERS On ebay he has a couple of other screen names to. Expect to give $450 up on good 3 chime horns. I have a new set in the box that was a gift of 5 chime that I turned down $1600 for. A little more advice if you have a buddy that says he will steal them don't as most have anti tamper bolts holding them on the engine and those will have 4 or 5 coats of paint. Everyones first instinct is to thrown them off the roof of the train and its a good way to spot stolen ones if the main frame has been broken and welded.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)