AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Catholic marrying a non- catholic, need advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

M&A
Posted 3/19/2015 14:05 (#4464046 - in reply to #4460394)
Subject: RE: Catholic marrying a non- catholic, need advice

Spring Grove MN

Matthew 15:8-9 "These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules."

Mark 7:8-9 "You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions." And he continued, "You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions."

Mark 7:13 "Thus you nullify the word of God by your own tradition that you have handed down."

I grew up in a WELS church.  I went to 6 years of Lutheran school.  I learned Bible stories, Hymns, and memorized verses.  I didn't learn about having a relationship with Jesus or putting Him first in my life.  I don't remember being taught to pray or think of Jesus as my best friend.  Maybe we were supposed to learn that by example?  I was treated as an outcast and put down constantly by peers and teachers.  I wasn't good at sports, I was overweight and had a really low self esteem.  I didn't learn the most important thing that I should have learned going to that Lutheran school.  I should have learned Love.  It should have been everywhere in that building.  We were supposed to be Christians.  Instead I learned I wasn't good enough to be in their little group.  Looking back I can't believe that I thought that was a Christian example.  I didn't enjoy going to church and I very rarely did.  When my husband and I were married we married in his little country church (ELCA).  His church isn't much different than the one I grew up in except that they are smaller and closer group.  I'm now trying to live as a "true Christian".  I've taken to studying the Bible and learning to talk to Jesus and trying really hard to follow his example.  I'm making an honest effort but I'll never be perfect.  We all supposedly worship the same God so why are the traditions so important?  We spend so much time worrying about tradition that we forget the most important things Jesus taught us.  I don't want to be religious I want to be a follower of Christ Jesus and a good example for others.  My husband and I are considering switching churches in the next few months so that our family can continue growing in our faith rather than just going through the motions each Sun.  It doesn't matter what denomination it is.  What matters is finding a church that supports making Jesus the center of your life.  Find a church that will help you grow in your faith not just maintain.  Being Christian is trying to wholeheartedly follow Jesus.  Being religious is following church traditions and regulations and that's not what Jesus wanted.  I pray that God will bless your marriage because if He is for it, it doesn't matter who is against it.  

God Bless!! 

Amy 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)