AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere 7000/7200 Closing Wheels
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 3/16/2015 09:48 (#4456919 - in reply to #4454860)
Subject: RE: John Deere 7000/7200 Closing Wheels

NEILFarmer - 3/15/2015 09:50 On 7200 the bushing and the bracket wear out, so changing the bushing will fix some of the play but not all. RK products and Shoup have products that will fix the problem. But if you wanting to run a spiked wheel take a look at this kit from SI distributing. http://sidist.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_... Don't know why they took picture down, had one last week, but i'll post picture of the one i have which is same as you would need. But basically it converts to the newer system closing wheel system where you use a bolt to hold wheels on and they can be staggered, that is why i bought it to try different closing wheel options. What i found is they use a double bushing system which looks like it will take care of the wear issue. Instead of one bushing and the bracket to wear they have two bushings to replace and should be good as new. More surface area to wear as well. Not too bad a price either if you price new brackets from JD, comes with everything new from the tail back and bolts that will work with your factory rubber wheels for 60$ and i believe just the brackets from JD was $75 and that was 2-3 years ago. I'm kicking myself for going JD route few years ago. I will be switching them to SI as long as they work as expected when our factory are worn out as well.

You might want to consider using a half-rate spring instead of the heavy one when running two spoked closing wheels per row.  Gives you more adjustment on the lever -- the majority of spoked closing wheels don't require much pressure on them, and using too much pressure can cause problems.  (If your spoked / tined / cage-type closing wheels need lots of pressure, they must be of a design that does more packing than slicing & crumbling -- which isn't good for seedling emergence.)

[Edited one minute after initial posting, for grammar.]

Edited by mhagny 3/16/2015 09:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)