AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buying locally??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Southern Farmer
Posted 3/9/2015 07:52 (#4441803 - in reply to #4441575)
Subject: RE: Buying locally??

West Texas

Chimel - 3/9/2015 01:41
Southern Farmer - 3/8/2015 12:48 The USDA organic seal verifies that the product has 95% or more certified organic content. That verification is made by an individual inspector that makes his decision on the records that the producer provides him. He has no way of verifying what may or may not have blown in on the fields.
No, it's 100% for farmers. 95% is for organic processed food with multiple ingredients, and the list of ingredients must clearly show which ones were organic or not, so you can make your decision. There's an annual on-site inspection of all operations, and 5% of unannounced inspections, and there are regular food analyses too, although that's mostly based on consumer complaints or when the certifying agent has a doubt. But yes, it's mostly a matter of trust, just like your own customers trust that you are doing things by the book. No need to hate or slander organic farmers or consumers as opposed to conventional ones.
Hate? slander? Now your own biases are showing through. While I've expressed my opinions, you have decided to trash me for those opinions. Obviously the wind doesn't blow wherever you are from.

Might want to check on your facts'

http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/pubs/ofp/ofp.shtml

“Organic agriculture practices cannot ensure that products are completely free of residues; however, methods are used to minimize pollution from air, soil and water.

Edited by Southern Farmer 3/9/2015 08:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)