AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone running a non FFV on E85?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

guypatrick
Posted 8/25/2008 08:36 (#442704 - in reply to #442527)
Subject: My recent experience:

North central, IA
I have been wanting to fiddle around with a little blending and we finally got an e-85 pump locally so I can report on the first experiment.

We have a 1998 Saturn SL2 which always starts good. We generally use E-10. Fuel mileage is around 35 for mostly hiway miles. It has a 12.8 gallon fuel tank.

The other day when I filled the tank I put in 3 gallons of E-85, then topped it off with E-10. So the resulting mixture (3*.85 + 9.8*.10) / 12.8 was E-27.5. I drove the car about 5 miles and let it sit for 1.5 hrs. It restarted much harder than usual. I then drove the car another 5 or so miles and let it sit for 10 minutes. It restarted as easily as normal. I then drove the car about 40 miles and let it sit for 3 hours. Restart this time was terrible. I seriously wondered if it was going to start. So I stopped at a fuel station on the way home and refilled the tank with E-10. It took exactly 2 gallons for 68 miles so the economy on that very short trip was not abnormal. The resulting blend (2 *.10 + 10.8 * .27)/12.8 was E-24. The car has since started great, hot or cold, and run great. Fuel economy seems normal but I haven't refilled it to check for sure.

Bottom line for this non-flex-fuel vehicle: E-27.5 - not good. E-24 - fine for starting and running, fuel mileage tbd.

Please check my math and make sure I'm not giving out bad information.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)