AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD sm. sq. baler: flywheel bushing replacement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Hedge tree
Posted 8/24/2008 19:32 (#442338)
Subject: JD sm. sq. baler: flywheel bushing replacement

Central Kansas
I have pulled wrenches and replaced about everything wearable on small square balers for 30 years. I have NEVER replaced a flywheel bushing on a JD baler. I have a tiny bit of 'rocking' play in my 348 flywheel that tends to loosen the shear bolt as it wants to move away slightly from the tab arm the bolt goes through. Parts online shows a bushing inside the flywheel casting...as well as inside the bolt hole area. The castellated nut has been tightened as far as it will go without beating on the pinon end so I think I will try to replace this bushing to tighten things up.

I have no press and this flywheel is about 150+ lbs I think. Have any of you replaced this bushing? If so, can it be done with a drift or socket to drive out the old....replace the new? If you have any experience with this situation, I would sure like to hear about it.

This baler has lots and lots of bales through it. There is a little gear case grease around the pinon output that the flywheel is attached to....so I might replace that outboard seal as well. The play is not excessive so I don't think I have gear case components worn that much. At least I hope I don't.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)