AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

waxy corn questions pros/cons
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

TheFarmersLife
Posted 1/21/2015 08:06 (#4327036 - in reply to #3816085)
Subject: RE: waxy corn questions pros/cons

Indiana

GrainTrader - 4/14/2014 20:26

what have some of your experiences been with raising waxy corn? 
i'm considering it for 2015. I'm in need of a bin to speed up harvest and have been considering trying waxy corn for a while, but having zero heated drying setup i've been scared of the moisture requirements. Then bin i'm planning to build will have a stirrator and a burner, so moisture requirements shouldn't be an issue.
I'd have to hire the hauling done, as it is too far to haul with our truck (according to dad). but i don't see a huge issue with that with my added storage.

i have a good dealer network of Pioneer, Agri-Gold, and Beck's hybrids in my area, so seed shouldn't be an issue. IDK what other companies offer waxy.

how is the yield drag if any?

i thought i read somewhere that waxy corn didn't dry down well.... is that true?

what else am i forgetting? 

GrainTrader, we've grown waxy corn for a long time here just North of Lafayette.  We take everything to Tate & Lyle in Lafayette.  They are going all non GMO for 2015 which isn't a problem because our waxy tends to be non GMO most of the time anyway.  Premium last year was $.55 and is again this year.  We use to go to National Starch in Indy, but have stayed closer to home for several years now.  We see a slight yield drag with waxy, but the premium more than makes up for that.  Bonus if the seed is cheaper than dent.  

We plant mostly Pioneer.  In fact that is all Tate would accept until a couple of years ago.  Now they'll take anyone's.  On the yield over the whole farm in 2014 we average 226bu on dent and 215bu on waxy.  Add $99/acre for the premium on the 180 bushels in the contracted acres and that works pretty well compared to dent.

Yes it can take a bit longer to dry down over dent corn. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)