AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

KS Wheat Assessment (tax) Going Up.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Lightning Inc.
Posted 8/8/2008 16:27 (#431159 - in reply to #430831)
Subject: Re: KS Wheat Assessment (tax) Going Up.

Concordia,Kansas
I think you ALL make great points. I`m not here to make anybody mad, I just think people need to step back and ask why every once and a while?

My "big" sister is a big shot with Con Agra. She runs all over the world in one of their corporate jets. She comes home to the farm, and tells me what`s going on in the world as far as our food and it`s movement into new countries. Con Agra is the second largest producer of retail food in the US, Kraft is number 1. They both have to cater to Wal Mart, the largest food retailer in the world. Trust me if somebody sneezes in Bentonville, Arkansas, they say a collective " God bless you in Omaha Nebraska. We can hate Wal Mart as much as we want but they are helping us WAY more than any grower commission there is out there. As Wal Mart moves into all these different countrys, they take our products with them. My sister is in China as I type, working with customs on letting pudding into their country. I don`t know what that means to our dairy guys? I`ll bet that would help though? We`re talking Wheat here so, I`ll ask some questions. I`ve got a couple wheat commission guys drug in here that should be able to answer these. How much of our wheat ends up in human consumption? What is the fastest growing market for our wheat? How much bread dose the world use a day? What is the fastest growing type of bread?

As far as the genetics go, I`Ave been through all the programs at AK STATE, don`t get me wrong they are working their butts off. I would`t argue that with anybody. I just think they NEED to step back and look at the whole picture. I`m a red wheat grower from the fact I KNOW my customer, and that`s what they want. Maby they need to figure out what we want out here in our growing programs. If the Kansas Wheat Commission wants to help, have a meeting that puts the grower and the end user together in a room. Let everybody figure out what the consumer wants and how everybody can meet that need.

On the note of Milo, I will agree with L Haag, we haven`t had anything new in years. I was in a greenhouse last week (not big M) and they are working on a compleat new line of milo. I`m talking from the ground up. I think we will see a lot of demand for Milo with the new markets in China.

As for the greenhouses at K State. I`ve just got this to say. On the night of June 4th, we had a twister come through one of our places. It picked up a big hay shed and dropped it right on top of all the harvesting equipment. It bent the crud out of everything. I was looking it over at first light, and got a call from the nursing home that my dad had died during the night. I didn`t say to heck with it and not cut my wheat. I took a week and buried my dad. We went to work and fixed what we could and harvested.
Kent
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)