AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

falling out of love with farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

oldbob
Posted 1/7/2015 22:13 (#4295886 - in reply to #4294681)
Subject: RE: falling out of love with farming

West Cental Arkansas
You need to think with an open mind about your situation. Where is wife standing in your situation.
These are decisions that the two of you should make.

If you stay until your FIL is ready to retire, is it a slam dunk you are going to be the one to take the farm into the next generation ?? You mention two others wanting their share, does this mean when your in-laws pass away the farm will be sold??

I farmed with my Dad until I was 33 years old. Decided to hook it up on my own, got into some other aspects of agriculture rather than row-cropping. Grew that business until I was burnt out like you, then got into hotel business for 9 years, sold that, got into real estate business for 6 years, sold that, all the time I held on to some farms we had bought along the way, now I run some cows for something to do. I am 61 now.

The decision is yours and if you are serious about moving on, the longer you wait the harder it is to make the break.

I made more $$$ after I basically got away from farming than I did while farming and have been in a better frame of mind also. But again I am running some of them ole cows again. It is hard to get rid of that farm lifestyle completely.

Whatever decision you make, God bless........
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)