AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Canola...Its Planted, Sprayed, Pods are filling plump......Now What?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sakeller
Posted 8/6/2008 09:51 (#429482 - in reply to #429310)
Subject: Re: Canola...Its Planted, Sprayed, Pods are filling plump......Now What?

Camrose, Alberta
The old recommendation is 30% color change on the main stem. Color change means the seed has a dark spot on it and the rest of the seed is green, the seed does not have to be completely black to count as color change. You definetly don't want to be swathing before 30%.

The new recommendation is that you can wait up untill 60% color change on the main stem. I like to wait till I have 50% color change before swathing, unless I have 1000 acres that will be ready at the same time. I have just one swather and can swath 150 acres comfortably in a day. A couple years ago I was swathing my fields at 50% and I got to the last one (only at 30%), but I wanted to be done swathing, I noticed a definate difference in smaller seed size and reduced yield.

When you wait longer to cut it also doesn't take as long to cure either. Curing can occur in as little as 10 days when swathed at 60%. Here is a link to a swathing guide from the Canola Council.

http://www.canola-council.org/canola_resources/product12.aspx
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)