AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone with Autistic teenagers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Pvafarm
Posted 1/5/2015 20:14 (#4290006 - in reply to #4288974)
Subject: RE: Anyone with Autistic teenagers?

Southeast WI
I hope others post here for you that have experience. I don't. But what I can tell you is continue what you are doing and your son will find where he "fits in". One neighbor boy here has similar, more severe issues than you describe, but he has grown into a man now. He is attending tech school for computers, he joined a group that makes pens and such on lathes and he holds a part time job while in school. Every time I see him I see him progressing. When he was in HS one couldn't hold a conversation with him and now he can converse quite well. The world is just different through his eyes and small talk we consider normal does not appear so. I don't know where the limit is for this young man as he continues to mature at a different pace.

Your son is like many kids that are different from whatever normal is - all he needs is one close friend and he will do well. I see this with my one daughter - she doesn't care for all the gossipy crap that goes with being a teenager and we knew right away she was a little different socially. We have worked with her and she has found a small group of friends and is doing well in HS. Grades 5-7 were tough when she became more socially aware and we got her help she needed. Fortunately we are staying put and she doesn't have to make new friends until college. I know that's not always possible and each one of us has to do what's needed for our family. Hang in there, your son will do well because you are a concerned parent. Late night talks always seem to help both of our kids when they have trouble. Let your son know you are his biggest fan and will always be there for him. My daughters will text me during school some days. Sometimes it's just to say hi, other days they NEED to "talk". I am honored by that! Take care.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)