AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buying Ewes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 12/17/2014 17:11 (#4247075 - in reply to #4246414)
Subject: RE: Buying Ewes

south east Indiana
If you want woolies Sd/Nd is a great palce to look. Platte Sd has some nice bred ewe sales, most used to be brought in from west river. MO has some nice sheep, could get you a name and number, lots of NCC in western MO. If you are looking for hair sheep need to look east. VA, TX, NE ect for a large group of hair sheep.

Lots of problems can happen if they are moved later in gestation so the sooner the better!

Edgefield sheep forum is a good place for networking and sheep only info. Lots of guys who have been around sheep forever. There are a couple folks in Iowa on the forum also.
If you have a preference with breed or type of sheep I might be able to point you to someone specific.

The problem I had with bringing western SD sheep to IN is that they did not do well with the heat, humidity and parasites. Everything is different here from the temps to the grass. That hard grass out west is hard to beat! I find it is better to find sheep from your general area/part of the country and a similar management style unless you plan on lambing them and turning them over.
Here is a photo of older NCC from MO I brought home this fall

(DSC_0560.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC_0560.JPG (126KB - 112 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)