AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Will it work? Dual anchor setup for the 6x6.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

crowbar
Posted 12/14/2014 09:23 (#4239174 - in reply to #4238838)
Subject: RE: Whoa, Don

Hazelton, Kansas
Hillfarmer,

OK...but if the nut tubes do not transmit all the outer rim clamp force, just how does one tighten this assembly in a manner that puts adequate squeeze on the spacer? He would have to run the outer thimbles in and set their position relative to the untightened outer rim, then torque the outer bolts to capture both the inner and outer chamfers on the outer rim between the outer thimble and bolt. It basically becomes an indeterminant structure if he does this, and it will be tough to install the wheels in a repeatable fashion. And he's already fighting the issue of uncontrolled rotation of the outer thimble.

Don may get along with this, because the original wheel attachment hardware is, well, good old Army overkill design. And because Don is Don (and I mean that as a compliment). But I'd rather see him just cut the center out of the outer rim, then weld the spacer in the rim, weld the center into the spacer, and gusset the bejesus out of it. That would let him use the standard thimble-nut dual wheel attachment hardware and retain the high clamp forces. To me, there is a lot less chance of joint failure with dished outer rim approach. And the "spin stopper" issue also goes away.

Regards.

MDS

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)