AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Will it work? Dual anchor setup for the 6x6.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

crowbar
Posted 12/13/2014 13:20 (#4237699 - in reply to #4234724)
Subject: Whoa, Don

Hazelton, Kansas
Don,

Your project has been nagging at me for several days, as I've been traveling. It just didn't look "right," but for some reason, my mind didn't focus until now.

So...here's my concern.

Your tension members are located at the bolt circle. Your compression member is located at the ID of the rim. It looks like there is 3-4" radial distance from the bolt circle to the spacer. When you tighten it all up, you will be stressing the both wheel centers like large Belleville washers. I'm not at all sure they are thick enough to sustain the preload needed to keep everything tight. You will likely notice the deflection in the outer wheel center when you cinch it down. If you total the clamping force of 10 truck lug bolts (estimated at 40-50,000 lbs PER BOLT), you will have a LARGE force tending to deform your wheel centers.

As others have suggested, there are other means if attachment that will avoid this problem. I'd take a look at welding two heavy bolt circle rings on the INTERIOR of your spacer. Add lots of gussets. Then just use a long extension to access the inner nuts. However, piloting the wheels onto the hub may be a problem with this approach. I'm not sure of your intended speeds, but you can probably tolerate a little more piloting inaccuracies than a highway tractor.

Again, as others pointed out, simply cutting the center out of the outer rim and welding in the spacer is another option. This is probably the simplest approach, but it means the outer rims will not interchange with the others.

You might also revisit some of the hardware used to mount combine straddle duals. The threaded spacers used to allow the removal of outer without disturbing (or jacking) the inner might be adaptable to your situation.

Regards.

MDS

Edited by crowbar 12/13/2014 19:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)