AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sheep ration for brood ewes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 12/11/2014 15:10 (#4233871 - in reply to #4233784)
Subject: RE: sheep ration for brood ewes

south east Indiana
It really depends on your sheep and what breed and how they are used being mantained. My ewes are rotationally graze most of the year . They get hay after the grass is gone. Depending on the quality of forage they may be supplemented when they are getting ready to be bred and for a few weeks. Then they go back to grass hay until about a 4 to 6 wks before they lamb depending on body condition. They get better hay and I try to make sure they have some alfalfa closer to lambing. They may or may not get corn, if they need some due to weather or to keep their condition it is never more than 1 lb a day. Grain / corn is only given around lambing. Once they are on pasture in the spring the grain stops.

I simply watch body condition. If I have ewe lambs they tend to get better feed so they can grow through the winter. Without the alfalfa hay and if you feed more grain for a longer period of time I would think you would need to make sure it is a balanced ration.

I find my katahdins do not the grain. My ewes generally have singles or twins, with triplets or litters like some breeds raise I would think they would need more feed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)