AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bottle calf advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 11/30/2014 06:24 (#4209904 - in reply to #4209831)
Subject: RE: bottle calf advice

south east Indiana
Some of the electrolyte products when mixed with milk or given quickly after prevent the milk from clumping into curds. The curds are needed for the calf to digest the milk. A calf can starve getting milk that is not able to curd in its stomach.
Read the label some say they are ok to mix in. I still prefer to do electrolytes at a separate feeding.
Feeding a starved calf small amounts several times a day is going to be better than lots twice a day. Their body slows and organs do not work as well when they do not get enough nutrition just like people. So I would give her the full amount of milk ( 2 bottles) just break it up over the day for at least 3/4 days and maybe a week. I may give probiotics as well especially if you do antibiotics. Vitamins like B12 are always good, maybe that multi min.
I would not give 2x the dose of antibiotics just follow through with a second inj as label suggests, 3 days I believe on LA. Antibiotics are not something where a little is good more is better. They kill the good gut bacteria just as fast as the kill the bad. Her system is already stressed and compromised.

Edited by denice.r 11/30/2014 06:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)