AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Frustratng,, Why doesnt everyone in my area No-Till. Pics .Dialup friendly
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

SCIN Farmer
Posted 7/23/2008 10:34 (#420591 - in reply to #420458)
Subject: Re: Frustratng,, Why doesnt everyone in my area No-Till. Pics .Dialup friendly

Brassring - 7/22/2008 17:24 they all say no-till don't work, I can't get it to work, it's not worth it, anything to not no-till, they only no-till when it gets late like this yr.

We have tried different methods to no-tilling, don't get me wrong in soybean fields with NO ruts its still preferred, but we are going to have to figure something out with the corn, it seems that even when the gumbo wants to work, IT WONT. What I mean is that I applied NH3 this spring and it sealed BEAUTIFULLY(0 smoke), my dad asked me if I thought he could no-till it and I said why not. Emergence was, well below spectacular. Height, and color were all over the board even in the middle of the field.

Now don't get me wrong, I do not condone no-till systems, they do have their place, and if someone(including us) could figure something out that works it would be widely adapted on our hills. The problem is what works and doesn't, and so far the only good no-till is waiting until june or july to plant, which is just not acceptable for various reasons(its bad enough when our soils don't dry out until may).

About yields, I have seen no-till yield as much as min-till land(30% residue or more), but 8/10 years min-till will win. Of course on hills plowing went the way of dinosaurs as soon as effective chemicals came around. But we always look for new and better ways to produce a crop, so maybe when someone invents some "snake oil" that actually works we might try it. But until then, if anyone has any advice for high Ca/high Mg soils that are TIGHT, let me know, im always willing to experiment.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)