AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jake brake on a pickup?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

johnson
Posted 9/7/2006 08:03 (#42031 - in reply to #41942)
Subject: Re: Jake brake on a pickup?

Helena, OK
Dodge offers a Jake Brake either factory installed or dealer installed with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. The brake is integrated into the ECU on the engine and operates automatically. This is the first year for the automatic to have the Jake Brake due to the new design and locking torque converter, so the tranny will stay engaged and slow the load. I have one on my 06 Dodge and love it. Another advantage to the exhaust brake is the engine warm up. You can start the engine and turn the brake on the brake will operate until the engine has warmed up to 170 deg then goes off. I run will the brake on almost all the time, it comes on the second your foot comes off the pedal and will pull you down to 20 mph before shutting off. When the brake is on, the automatic tranny will down shift instead of coast like most auto, but with real heavy load I sometimes find myself down shifting ahead when the tranny would do it on its own.

The only thing I didn't care for is that a vacuum air pump is installed on the engine and a longer special serpentine belt is used to drive it. The air pump is what actuates the butterfly valve along with a electric dump valve.

Edited by johnson 9/7/2006 08:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)