AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cotton growers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

doeslayer
Posted 7/22/2008 21:43 (#420261)
Subject: Cotton growers

NW Mississippi
Those of you who farm or have farmed cotton in the recent past, what future do you see cotton having on your farm? Its obvious that a lot of farmers, especially in the MS, LA, and AR delta, have abandoned cotton in favor of high soybean, wheat, and corn prices. On our farm, we have been some of the last to cut back so much on our cotton acres. But right now our plan is to not have any cotton under irrigation next year and plant more beans, wheat/beans, and corn.
I have heard some guys say that when and if cotton gets to 1.15 or 1.20, they will get excited about planting it on their farm again.
I have heard others talk about having to make 3 bale cotton to equal 175 bushel corn.
I have heard older farmers say they have seen people "go crazy about grain" like this in the past and not to get caught up in it and buy new combines and build bins, etc. I think that logic could cost you a lot of money.
I think we need to stay flexible, but at these cotton prices, it just makes more sense to grow grain.
What are some of you guys planning for?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)