AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

old sayings.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Ron/PA
Posted 11/20/2014 13:44 (#4190111 - in reply to #4190077)
Subject: RE: old sayings.

What an odd (or queer) twist this is. Earlier today my oldest Brother and I were in a discussion of these sayings and it lead to the changes we've seen in our lifetimes.

My Grandmother was a teacher, she always taught us that words mean things and it's important to use the correct word in every situation. Back then, queer was a common word to denote: different, odd, or singular. Grandpa often had a dairy cow that would be acting queer, so he'd suspect she was about to calve.

Today, Jackie Gleason and Fred Flintstone couldn't have a "Gay old time" but folks older than me often did.

Locally there's a fantastic Polish delicacy most often served in small coal town taverns and a few old butcher shops called Fagots. Yeah, I know and please don't even go there. That word is gone, save for one local shop that still has it on their wall.

Growing up on the edge of the coal regions we had zero exposure to folks of color except for the migrant crew that would come in to pick tomatoes every year. As the years passed from the early 50's to the 70's names that they chose to be called changed often, it was very confusing to a young mind.

Anyway, I ramble too much but your post brought back a flood of memories of innocent sayings like that which my Grandfather used often, that one included.

Thanks,,,,,,,, I think. :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)