AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Aquamax
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ehoff
Posted 11/8/2014 11:48 (#4166609 - in reply to #4166549)
Subject: RE: Aquamax

Central Missouri
I plant all aquamax and it has done well. I decided several years ago to plant 1 company and learn their line-up really well and which hybrids fit my situation. I just can't take a shotgun approach with the different hybrids that are out there. Its impossible for me to keep up with several companies line-up. I have thin eroded poorly internally drained soils on a lot of my ground. Corns are in the 103 - 114 day line-up. Gonna go to 103 - 112 day next year. I plant a pioneer plot every year and walk through it with my salesman and agronomist at least twice each year. When I rank trait desireability it goes like this:
1. emergence under wet/cool because ear count is so important
2. yield
3. ear flex (I variable rate and on my stoney areas at 24k the yield was 100 bu/a this year in field averages of 200)
4. disease resistance

Some things that fully eliminate a hybrid : susceptible to brittle snap, poor cool wet emergence score, goss's susceptible, poor gls score

That throws out all race horse types. I want flats no rounds. Even on my pattern tiled bottom I want at least an 8 out of 10 on drought all though I will try some 1197 next year with a drought score of 7. Planted 1 nongmo this past year and it was the 2nd worse lodging I've ever had after 12" of rain in 14 days. On my soils in my plot the aquamax has outyielded the race horse hybrids every year for the past 4 with the exception of this year with the 1197. My plot went from 202 to 231 this year planted at 30k. 102 to 120 day hybrids.

The 5 aquamax hybrids averaged 217.6, 9 non aquamax averaged 218. I may be losing yield to other companies hybrids I don't know but I'm not gonna shotgun approach hybrids. Part of my theory to put the odds in my favor. Just how I do it

One of the best things I have done is put in a plot the last 4 years and then walked it and discussed it with the agronomist twice a year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)