AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

stray voltage?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dggdairy
Posted 11/2/2014 07:39 (#4156470)
Subject: stray voltage?

Southwest Wisconsin
I installed 2 used Ritchie waterers last summer in a building that had no electricity in it. We ran power to the building through a section of used triplex from a neighboring silo to the building. After we hooked everything up, my goats were getting shocked at both waterers. Assuming it was a short in one of the waterers, I replaced the elements in both waterers. Still getting shocked. We attached a ground rod from the panel (each waterer is on a separate breaker) and a ground rod in the cabinet of each waterer. Still getting shocked. The only way I could get the waterer to not shock the animals was to wire an outlet and plug in one of those plug in elements and detach the ground from the outlet (no ground). So we're assuming that we're getting backfeed through the ground. While trying to isolate where the problem might be, we went to shut the power off to the farm at the transformer, and the pole switch was so corroded that we could only shut it off part way (turning off 110v instead of 220v). I know there are a lot of "it could be's", but I'm thinking this might be it. Any other thoughts? The goats aren't getting shocked at the other waterer on the farm, which is located in a different building, and they don't seem to be getting shocked in the parlor ( they're standing on cow mats, but it has metal stations so maybe they're already insulated?)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)