AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much fert can a guy cut out with strip till?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 7/12/2008 22:27 (#414413 - in reply to #413978)
Subject: RE: How much fert can a guy cut out with strip till? Cut from what is always the question.

Thumb of Michigan
Very good advice, Jim. I find an awful lot of variance on my farm between fields. I've found different things work better sometimes in different places. Only broadcast we've done in many years is an occasional application of potash. All P and K are going in more concentrated band type deals, either with the planter or a coulter applicator for N sidedress.

I religiously soil test at least every 3 years, our soil tests continue to either be the same or sometimes higher depending on the nutrient. I blame that on nutrient stratification due to no till. Nutrient stratification is a good thing in my book. Bring it on.

I was in a cut fertilizer mood maybe 10 years ago. Had been no-till for 10 years or so at the time. Met with a supplier I trusted and a university guy that I trusted. Like you said, cut from what? I was already pretty low application rates compared to the "norm", whatever that is. Decided to stay right where I was, which is kind of sort of replacement values. Or less. My soil tests are still high enough that I can cut some stuff pretty deeply without an adverse consequence as long as fert prices are where they are currently. I also do believe that there are different things happening in our soils with less tillage. Usually positive from what I can tell. Hard to measure that soil test wise when you're trying to use technology developed a hundred years ago based on full tillage operations. Not that I have a better answer, just an observation. Sure would be nice to have an economical way to measure all the little fungi and mychorrizie and other stuff I can't pronounce or spell that increase as tillage decreases. And a good way to interpret the results while we're at it.

One thing I've noticed quite often when guys are going from band back to broadcast, or vice versa, is a sometimes large difference in weed control. Not as noticable in already high fertility soils, but quite noticable on lower testing soils. With the fert placed for the crop rather than placed for everything else including the crop, the crop can usually get enough of a jump on weeds to make it worth while banding somehow just in weed control savings. I can't bring myself to apply fert out away from the crop just for the benifit of that lambsquarter or pigweed I know is going to appreciate it. I have enough trouble with them as it is without giving them a push.

So short story long- I think the only one on this here site who'll be able to arrive at the correct answer is the one looking for the info. Sorry I can't help more.

Edited by pat-michigan 7/12/2008 22:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)