AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Opinions on how to bale corn stalks?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Kickapoogian
Posted 10/24/2014 13:11 (#4143167 - in reply to #4142297)
Subject: RE: Opinions on how to bale corn stalks?

Soldiers Grove Wi. 54655
The last few years mine have been hard to get dry enough to keep so I've wrapped them with an Anderson Inline wrapper.. Tried net wrap and they froze to the ground terrible but at least with the net wrap (I go 3 wraps) and then with the plastic wrap they keep well, ferment and smell good when they're fed. Also in case I have a shortage the next summer on pasture because of drought or flood I have some decent extra feed on hand.. I bought a stalk chopper last year but a bearing went out on it right away so ended up using my discbine again.. It works fine but the stalks don't get chopped up near as good so there is more waste when feeding them.. I have to say I've wondered about the nutrients taken out of the ground by taking all the stalks off but years ago (late 70s) we used to only plant 19-21,000 population and chopped it mostly for silage. That said I don't believe we're taking that much more off the field by going with the 32,000 population and using more fertilizer now days.. (and we had 38" rows at that time also)..
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)