AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

83 y/o mother needs to stay at assisted living sisters say no.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

GardenGirl
Posted 10/21/2014 08:16 (#4137928 - in reply to #4137771)
Subject: RE: 83 y/o mother needs to stay at assisted living sisters say no.

Minnesota
Good advice given above. A few additional ideas:

Would the sisters be able to have her come and stay with them for a month or two? That might help them to realize that she needs more help. Also, do you have legal Guardianship, or just POA? And is the POA financial or medical as well, so that you can make her medical decisions?

One thing that we did with my in-laws, was to make an appointment with their Doctor to talk things over; if her Doctor is willing, maybe your sisters could make an appointment to get the Dr's perspective (they may have to pay for the appointment, but it's worth it. Doctors see this sort of thing all the time and are good at knowing how to work with family.) It was very helpful to my husband and me, to meet with the Dr.

It's a difficult journey ........ Alzheimer's doesn't get better; it gets much worse. We were told that each time a 'health incident' takes place, such as a fall, the flu, UTI, etc. the dementia gets a little worse. It is so hard on the family. You may have to be the tough guy and that's hard, too, but you have to do what's best for your Mom and yourself (and your immediate family). Relatives can sometimes be 'in denial' that anything is wrong with a parent, and it seems that's where your sisters are.

We are in southern MN..........where are you located? Email me if you want; [email protected] Wishing you the best..........Sharon
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)