AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wooden hutch ideas for calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Hay Hud Ohio
Posted 10/12/2014 08:24 (#4121209 - in reply to #4120574)
Subject: RE: Wooden hutch ideas for calves

SW Ohio
Been over twenty years ago but I used to make my own hutches, three sheets of plywood and some cheap 2x4's. Cut two sheets six feet long and cut a triangle off that 0 on one end and 8" on the other on long side(this will be side panel with slope on the top), cut third sheet six and a half feet, this is the top, let it overhang both ends a few inches. take scrap from ends and use two to make the back, make top one easily removable for summer ventilation. Take leftover from top and cut into two triangles, use that on front so front is open to the top at center and braced to the sides, use 2x4's at all joints and deck screws to hold it all together. Buy the cheapest paint you can find and slather it on thick on the outside. I added two pieces of 8" drain tile six inches long for bucket holders and put an eye bolt in top center front for the tether chain, these survived many rotations of calves on the dairy and being moved many times by hand or with skid loader. Move to fresh ground with every calf change and turn upside down in the sun when empty to help sanitize. Best way I had to raise calves.

Not quite a thousand words but pictures would have been a lot easier!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)