AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

In need of some ideas....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

IADAVE
Posted 10/2/2014 16:34 (#4105352 - in reply to #4102688)
Subject: RE: In need of some ideas....

If you want to drive a truck and farm DO NOT haul grain! You will end up obligated during fall because they fed you all year! 1st choice would be the local tanker company. You know the ones that haul the gas out to the stations. Home most nights and don't have your equity tied up in a truck. Not spending nights and weekends working on it either! Some of the local food service warehouses would be OK too. If you are a good worker most companies need drivers bad enough they will let you start and stop for farming season.
IF you want to own your own truck and need one for your farm a hopper is Ok to have but it is a convenience. You can hire it done cheaper. Plus you get an extra man with the truck. Buy or rent what ever you think you want to pull. Find your loads off of load boards so you can pick when and how much you are gone. If you use the load boards you aren't obligated to any one unless you contract for that load. I would start out renting so you can find what works best for you and your area. Buy an older truck. Pre 2002 to avoid EGR.
A $10,000 truck will pull the same load as a $100,000 truck if you take care of it. The only difference is the insurance payment on the new one will pay for the old one and you will have less down time!
Work on it yourself. Paying $100 an hour for some one else to work on it is a chance to earn $100 an hour lost.
I bought $10,000 truck 7 or 8 years ago and it will still pay for itself once a month if I drive it. It is still worth $10,000 today.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)