AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bagging some corn silage - definitely STO (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/26/2014 22:37 (#4095685 - in reply to #4095357)
Subject: RE: Bagging some corn silage - definitely STO (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Mace, I still have all of my 2014 spring calves. I'm going to keep all of my heifer calves. The 2014 steers will be grazing corn over the winter and processed or sold in May 2015. In my system I'd rather sell steers at Bloomington at 950 lb or process for freezer beef at 1100 lb rather than sell calves at weaning. Recently 900+ lb beef steers sold at Bloomington for 2.10-2.20.  So in late April 2015 coming off of grazing corn, the later/lighter steers at 900-1000 lb will go to Bloomington and the earlier/heavier steers will go to the processor at 1050-1100 lb.

I just have a couple good bulls and a steer from the 2013 calf crop left. The steer I am going to process off of grass for the family as I am about out of processed beef to sell. We've had unusually good grass growing conditions this fall so I'll do this one steer as "grassfed". When the grass stops at frost, he will go to the processor. He is sure looking good right now.

Actually they are ALL looking good with the moisture and good grass we've had this fall.  Tough to make hay but great for grazing!

Jim

Edited by Jim 9/26/2014 22:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)