AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jumping in during the high
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

AC Farmboy
Posted 9/25/2014 11:23 (#4093156)
Subject: Jumping in during the high

central PA
With the way corn is looking worse and worse every day as far as price during harvest has made me start to think. We have plenty of facilities to feed 50 or more head no problem at all. I am looking at around 7,000-8,000 bushels of corn to come in November and 2.85 a bushel doesn't seem too appealing to a guy just starting out. I have plenty of livestock experience as I raise a few hundred sheep, about 15 beef and I raise about the same in steers, mostly Holsteins every year.
If you guys were in my shoes what would you do to add some value to your corn? Buy Holstein steers, coloreds, and what weights? My plan would be to buy in November and sell in march which is when my operating loan is due, already put up a little over 300 tons in corn silage and have over 100 tons of alfalfa hay as well.
Do you think I could add any value to my corn feeding some steers or heifers over winter? I would have to borrow money to get the calves, so would be paying around 4% interest on top of the cost of the calves.
Thanks for any input!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)