AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean fundamentals..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 9/23/2014 09:59 (#4089253 - in reply to #4089225)
Subject: fair point..

Actually Jon has most of his stuff sold,so he did a good job,but he seems very intent on getting others to hold.
Kinda wish I would have known that sooner.

That's a fair point.. and one I talked about a little the other day..

Again I don't view my postings as a marketing service..

I hedged about.. 25% and put an option strategy on another 25%.. 67% of my production is double crop.. and that is still at risk.  So doing anything other than an options strategy would seem risky.

The June (??) acreage report was the killer.. that blindsided me a little.. and I ALMOST pulled the trigger on some more.. dang it.

I'm not advocating other than "pointing out" how much WORK the market will have to do to pull bushels out of producer hands at these levels..

We have AMPLE storage out here.. so finding room is not the problem.. we normally would truck to a processor in a NORMAL year.. given what I have laid out above I DO NOT view this as Normal..

Todd's take on DTN had a very good view of post record pricing.. aka the year following a record crop.. he went back and looked since the 1970's at the prices for crops FOLLOWING a RECORD yield.. such as 2014 will be..  might as well go read his article.. but it falls in line with what I have been saying..

It's all a squeeze right now.. in order for the SHORTS to be able to cover.. they will have to do it on Farmer Give up selling..

I'm only delivering on contracted bushels.. go ahead a reward a good basis.. as Ray J would say a bushel not ground today.. is lost forever to the demand sheet as capacity can not be made up...  another "fair point."

delivering on Contracted bushels does not help the shorts as that is ALREADY priced.. it's the Wave of farmer sales that will hurt us/help them.. which we need to avoid.

This will happen 1st as this will be a drawn out harvest.. see the burn rate table for corn.. We need to bring in about 2 to 3% of both Corn and Beans per WEEK to keep things going.. more than that.. (which no doubt will happen at some point..) will go into storage.. right now it's been nip and tuck.. for example.. SE Ks is about 80% done on corn harvest.. it went quick and basis crashed.. here we are about 40% done.. and more paced.. with more storage options.. SW Ks is just getting started and will have BOOKOO storage.. and they'll dump it on the ground anyway.. as will we.

25% of producers across the country do not have a choice.. they must sell.. 15% could hold on to the past 3 crops.. it's those of us in the middle that swing one way or another that will decide it.. Any thing we can do to DRAG it OUT.. POST PONE dumping sales.. will help.. for all of us.

"fair points"  but I dont' know how else to say it.. I don't have time to be a marketing service.. I'm just calling it as I see it.. Yes I wish I had sold more sooner.. but not going to throw in the towel now.

fwiw.

Not a solicitation to trade people can and do lose $$$ trading commodities..

Also KNOW your financial risks.. you may not be able to afford to go through the squeeze.. worst thing that can happen is if you bull up.. bow your neck then get flushed out on the bottom.. make a plan.. but a PLAN you can EXECUTE.

later.

ps I'm looking to get out of the long put before next Tuesday's stocks report.. so there ya go.. If you need to know more about MY marketing plans...

Maize and Ray J will  point out to reward good basis.. so you could do a basis contract..(??) but there will be strings attached.. read the fine print and be aware.. it's not Good to be in this position.. but it's not impossible either.. there's a lot of shorts.. that will need to cover.. the door isn't that big for them either.  I just think the pendulum has swung too far at this point..

Edited by JonSCKs 9/23/2014 10:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)